The Mentality Project is an award-winning social action and activism project, supporting young people aged 13–21 to take action on the issues that they are passionate about within their communities and wider society.
Audre Lorde, self-identified “black, feminist, lesbian, mother, poet” – Black author; activist and all-around resistance badass
Through a combination of bespoke activism training and structured project work, young people in Mentality receive grounding in campaigning and activism and be supported to develop their own campaigns as well as offer their support to the causes and issues that they feel are most important to them.
The focus of the project is around creative activism as an act of radical self-care; getting involved in the issues that we are passionate about to bring change has huge positive impacts on our mental health as well as strengthening connections with our communities, which helps reduce loneliness and isolation. We also believe that activism, resistance and campaigning activities can be fun, celebratory and bring joy to our lives. This will be a central theme for the projects Mentality works on between activism training sessions.
Mentality explores inequalities in society, how this impacts our mental health, and what actions we can take to address this. The ethos behind this is that we can all play a part in making a difference – no matter how small or insignificant we may believe our actions to be.
You don’t need previous campaigning experience to take part in Mentality!
- Aged 13 -21 years old?
- Passionate about your community, friends and family?
- Someone who cares about social inequality but not sure what you can do about it?
- Bored and want to get involved in something that can make a difference to you and other people?
- Someone with ideas for social action but no one to share it with, who “gets it”?
- Looking to meet other young people who are also passionate and want to do something?
What you’ll get:
- 12 weeks training and learning around activism and campaigning under different themes
- Opportunities to learn about social action and activism within Bristol and get involved
- Support to develop skills as activists and campaigners to create your own campaigns
- Space to meet and work with other youth activists and share ideas and experiences
- Access to support and resources to maintain and encourage mental wellness and wellbeing as activists
Coming up at Mentality:
Music of Resistance
Training day: Saturday 16th November 2019 10am – 4pm
Weekly Thursday sessions from: Thursday 21st November 5.30pm – 8pm
Age of Resistance
Training Day: Saturday 9th March 2020
Weekly Thursday sessions from: Thursday 12th March 5.30pm – 8pm
Look of Resistance
Training Day: Saturday 13th June 2020
Weekly Thursday sessions from: Thursday 18th June 5.30pm – 8pm
Food for Resistance
Training Day: Saturday 19th September 2020
Weekly Thursday sessions from: Thursday 24th September 5.30pm – 8pm