While we try to offer the most diverse range of services possible here at OTR, we recognise that there’s a whole bunch of other awesome agencies and charities out there who can provide more specialist support than we’re able to. If you want some info or guidance on specific issues, we’ve offered some recommended links below to try out.
Also, some of OTR’s one-to-one services have a waiting list, meaning that you may not be able to come for direct support straight away. We’re always trying to find ways to get our waiting lists down and provide the quickest info and support we can. If you’re waiting for a service from OTR, you’re very welcome to come along to our Hubs, or access drop-in projects such as Resilience Lab in the meantime.
Immediate / crisis support
If you are in crisis please call the Bristol Mental Health Crisis Line, which is open 24/7, on 0300 555 0334. If your life is at risk please call 999 or visit your local A&E to access support from emergency services
If you’re feeling like you need immediate support on a one-to-one basis, we can recommend these services:
- The Samaritans – whatever you’re going through, you can call Samaritans free any time, from any phone on 116 123
- Papyrus – a national charity for the prevention of young suicide
- HOPELINEUK – open 9am-midnight, call 0800 068 41 41 for support around suicidal thoughts and feelings.
- 24/7 Support & Connect – a free confidential NHS helpline offering support for adults aged 18+: 0800 012 6549.
- CAMHS Crisis Line – a free confidential NHS helpline offering support for young people aged 17 and under in crisis: 0800 953 1919
- Shout – text ‘SHOUT’ to 85258 to speak to a crisis counsellor.
- Mermaids – a helpline offering support to transgender, non-binary and gender diverse young people and families, Monday – Friday 9am-9pm. 0808 801 0400
Have you seen our big list of support spaces in Bristol and South Glos? Big thanks to our Peer Navs for putting this together!
- akt – work with young LGBTQ+ people aged 16 -25 who are experiencing homelessness, abuse or living in a hostile environment
- Bristol CCG emotional health directory of services – find local support services in this NHS Bristol Clinical Commissioning Group guide [opens as pdf]
- Creative Youth Network – helping young people, no matter what their background or circumstances, to reach their own potential through varied creative sessions
- Brook – providing free and confidential sexual health advice to young people
- BDP – free and confidential information, advice and services to support you around problematic drug or alcohol use
- Young Bristol – youth-driven charity that works to offer a choice of opportunities and experiences for all young people
- Prince’s Trust – helping 13-25 year olds struggling with employment or at school to get their life back on track
- 1625 IP – supporting young people with housing, life skills, confidence-building, education, training, jobs and fun
- Mind You – South Gloucestershire’s mental health and emotional wellbeing hub for young people
- Next Link – specialist domestic abuse services for women and children in Bristol
- Barnardos – transforming the lives of children affected by child poverty, sexual exploitation, disability or domestic violence
Other counselling services
- Bristol Wellbeing Therapies – the gateway into Bristol’s NHS funded primary care service
- Wellspring Counselling – counselling in North Somerset
- Vitaminds – for aged 16 and over, who live and are registered with a GP in Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire
Online info and support
- Kooth – a free online counselling and emotional wellbeing platform for children and young people, accessible through mobile, tablet and desktop
- Mind – a list of apps to look after your mental health
- Happy Maps – information for parents and self-help for children and young people
- Young Minds – providing general mental health information and advice for young people and parents
- The Site [Youtube channel] – general information on how to overcome the challenges that come with being a teenager
- Bullying – https://www.ditchthelabel.